Stitched books with more than 48 pages, and/or heavier weight paper stock, can have bulked up spines that make the books hard to open and hard to lay flat. By squaring the spine of the stitched book – through applied pressure and feeding through a guided track, the spine is flattened instead of rounded and bulky.
Click on the bars below to see more information.
Square backing for stitched books:
A stitched book that looks like it has been perfect bound!
This system square backs stitched books in-line on our booklet maker or off-line. It provides you with an economical and good looking product. Booklets can be opened flat without damaging the spine.
- The overall book bulk is reduced by at least one third, ensuring that flat booklets are easier to handle, stack and pack, move and store – and they look good.
- The SquareBack™ spine can be printed on, just like a perfect bound book, however the fit can ‘float’ to some degree.
Square backing stitched books:
- Maximum book size 12 x 13 ¾”
- Minimum book size 3 13/16 x 4 ¾”
- Maximum book thickness
– up to 120 pages (20 lb bond) ¼” thick
- * double pass mode may be required for thick books, with stiff covers
– recommend not fewer than 24 pages or 3/64” (square backing ‘thin’ books does not provide enough effect)